McCrary Family Scholarship
Big Creek Lumber would like to help today’s youth gain valuable skills that will help them be self-sufficient and provide the opportunity to build sustainable, enjoyable careers. We are offering a scholarship in the form of a one-time award amount of $2,000, with the opportunity to apply for a one-time renewal. The deadline to apply is Friday, April 28th, 2023.
- Griffin Spooner, Santa Cruz High School in Santa Cruz, CA
- Kyle Nee, Santa Cruz High School in Santa Cruz, CA
- Alex Neri-Castro, SLV High School in Felton, CA
- Caeden Murphy, Independent High School in Paso Robles, CA
Bud and Lud McCrary co-founded Big Creek Lumber at the same age that most students graduate high school. Times were different in 1946 and they gained valuable training in skilled trades while serving during World War II and continued learning on the job after founding Big Creek Lumber. Although their education was non-traditional, the skills that they picked up serving their country set them up for success. After founding Big Creek they learned mechanical, business, forestry skills and became life long learners. Since its inception, Big Creek Lumber has been fortunate to have the support of employees and customers who have made their careers in the skilled trades and forestry.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- High school senior who plans to attend a university or college majoring in forestry or attend a trade, vocational or truck driving school beginning in Fall of 2023.
- Attend a High School within 25 miles of a Big Creek Lumber Location in California (Atwater, Davenport, Half Moon Bay, Paso Robles, Santa Cruz, Vallejo or Watsonville)
For all eligibility requirements, deadlines and additional information, please review the Scholarship Application below.